MESSAGE FROM THE CREATOR
I TAKE YOUR PRIVACY VERY SERIOUSLY. I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR PHONE (OR TABLET). I DO WANT TO KNOW HOW PLAYERS AS ONE BIG GROUP PLAY THE GAME.
YOUR PHONE BELONGS TO YOU, NOT TO ME.
Last updated: December 3, 2016
SURVIVE GAME UPDATES 1 TO 109 DO NOT COLLECT ANY USER DATA.
SURVIVE GAME UPDATE 110 AND GREATER COLLECT ANONYMIZED DATA USING UNITY ANALYTICS. SURVIVE APP DOES NOT TRACK WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE. SURVIVE GAME TRACKS HOW PLAYERS PLAY THE GAME.
google might collect your data: YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME OFFLINE, BUT IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE GOOGLE LOGIN PLEASE BE AWARE THAT GOOGLE USES YOUR DATA for THEIR PURPOSES. SURVIVE GAME APP and SURVIVE GAME TEAM DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO RAW DATA GOOGLE COLLECTS. GOOGLE PROVIDES OVERVIEW SUMMARY (SUCH AS "80% OF PLAYERS ARE MALE, 20% ARE FEMALE") WHICH DOES NOT SPECIFY YOUR INDIVIDUAL INFORMATION TO SURVIVE TEAM.
WHAT KIND OF DATA IS BEING COLLECTED: GAME SUBMITS DATA ABOUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME
Example data being collected: Once you begin the game, the game sends a custom event regarding “started game, scenario name, game version”. Once the game ends (due dehydration for example) the game submits data about “how many days you survived”, “how far you traveled”, “how many fish you caught” and other gameplay related statistics.
- This information about gameplay helps me understand and balance things. For example, if nobody is hunting in the game, and everybody is eating their bellies full of fish I can figure out a way to change that situation somehow. If nobody is using fireplow and everybody is using fire bow, I can think of a solution for that. It makes no sense to have useless features in the game.
- Game submits anonymized data via Unity Analytics. Unity analytics created an anonymized user ID that cannot be connected to any other apps. Even if you’d have an another app by me, I cannot know that. I’m not interested in individuals playing the game and there’s no personal data that gets collected. What I’m interested to learn how massive amount of players play the game. By using Unity Analytics, I get much better understanding on this.
- The data collected will be COPPA compliant (that’s a good for you)
- More information also at Unity site, see also section “anonymized user ID”
- Unity collects certain type of data automatically regarding launching game, how often players play the game and so on.
- Using data: Data collected can be mentioned in the blog. For example, I really want to be able to say that 6 million Survive players have played total of N million hours.
Survive game saves files on your device for gameplay reasons. Files contain information such as current scenario status, highscores and so on. Each player has their own save files.
- For example, there is a file "playerlocal_1.dat" that stores local player #1 information. There is also a file called "score_plr_12345679something.dat" that stores logged in player's highscores to the device.